Saturday

The Trip to Colorado

Our trip from Fenton, MO to Colorado Springs was quite an adventure!

After a stop at MidWest RV for some quick repairs on the RV, we left Fenton on Thursday morning, May 1st. The trip was uneventful. My biggest challenge was driving though Kansas City. (I was following Steve in the car.) I sang most of the way and was hoarse by the time we reached the KOA campground in Lawrence, KS that evening! :)

We went to bed and woke up to the sound of thunder and a strong wind rocking the 5th wheel. Steve and I clung to each other in bed and prayed for about 15 minutes until the storm moved over us. The next day we heard that Lawrence had been under a tornado warning with 60-70 mi hr winds! We thanked God for His protection.

On Friday, May 2nd we left Lawrence and headed for the KOA in WaKeeney, KS about 275 miles away. The last few hours of our trip we battled 35-40 mi hour winds with gusts much higher. I prayed continually as I followed Steve in the car and watched 18 wheelers being blown all over the road as they tried to pass him. From my vantage point it seemed there were several near misses between the tractor trailers and our RV. Again, I thanked God over and over for His mercy and protection. At the KOA in WaKeeney that night, the wind continued to howl and we were rocked to sleep by the swaying of the RV.

On Saturday, May 3rd we took off for Colorado Springs. After a few hours the winds decreased and the trip was much more enjoyable. I did have to smile when I noticed snow on the ground in Goodland, KS and in eastern Colorado. After all it was already May!! :) We arrived at Mom and Dad's in good spirits in the early afternoon. I was so happy to finally be there and know we wouldn't have to make the trip across Kansas again any time soon!

No comments: